Public transport in rural areas to get boost

Public transport in rural areas to get boost

To provide last mile connectivity and improve organized public transport in rural areas, the government, under a new scheme, will allocate funds to states to purchase mini buses.

Under the proposed scheme Pradhan Mantri Gramin Parivahan Yojna (PMGPY) - funds will be provided to states to purchase 80,000 mini buses to connect 1,25,000 villages across the country. A committee, comprising state transport ministers headed by Rajasthan Transport Minister Yunus Khan, had recently suggested the Centre to launch a new scheme to improve rural public transport system in the country.

60% of the total cost will be provided by the Centre and remaining 40% share will be borne by the states, a senior official in the transport ministry told DH.

“These buses will be launched to improve the public transport system in interior areas which lack an organised transport facility,” said the official adding that the Ministries of Road Transport, and Rural Development are jointly preparing guidelines for the scheme.

The PMGPY will be introduced to complement the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana, under which rural roads are being built, said the official.

“Roads are built in most of the places, but there is no public transport. That’s why, the government is considering providing 10-12 seater passenger vehicles at subsidized rates to retired defense personnel and women self-help groups,” he said.

  • About Us

    EPC World Media Group is a one stop knowledge information hub for Infrastructure, EPC and Construction sector. It strives to promote, propagate and assist the decision and policy makers from government and private organizations along with the technology developers and service providers to enhance and develop their capabilities. EPC World Media facilitates knowledge transfer to grassroots and strengthens their productivity.....

    Read More.....
  • Featured Videos

  • Connect Us